Parent’s behavior influences their child’s social and emotional skills directly and indirectly.Parent’s interaction influences their child’s future behavior.
Effective Parenting is an ability to interact and engage with the child in such a way that they learn and grow into remarkable adults. Parents need to take daily efforts to connect with children on a meaningful and personal level.
How to discipline child without yelling?
- Establish clear rules (basically 4-5 family rules with a child will observe and know the rues are for every family member and everybody follows that without fail.
- Discuss negative consequences ahead of time.
- Provide positive reinforcement
- Examine the reason you yell.
- Offer warnings when appropriate and follow through with consequences.
- Praise your child for good behavior
Remember – Children learn by watching what parents do.
How do a parent reward a child?
- Plan a trip to a park,
- Pick a movie for the weekend,
- Offer them to decide dinner menu
- A family activity
- 30 minutes of extra screen time.
How to punish children for bad behavior?
- Do not hit them (no physical harm should be done)
- Do not yell or shout at them.
- Rather Turn the Punishment into problem solving
- Give them tasks to finish for bad behavior
- Cut short the perks (example- 30 minutes less screen time etc)
How to discipline a toddler?
- Avoid stressful situations
- You must think like a toddler
- Practice the art of distraction
- Give the child a break
- Stay Calm
- Know when to give in
- Be consistent.
Lastly, try to be an authoritative parent, qualities of an authoritative parent are:
Warm, attuned and nurturing, listen to child’s point of view
Allow autonomy and encourage independence
Reason with children instead of demanding blind obedience
Set clear limit on behavior.